Sunday, May 8, 2011

Once in a lifetime, some of us get to assist God in a miracle

For nine months give or take a few (or several weeks!), if all goes well, a mom gets the privilege of assisting God in a miracle. As my blog title proclaims, God performs miracles every day, but the miracle of being the womb for a baby to grow and develop in such unfathomable detail, in an ongoing process, is one miracle beyond compare.

The miracle of my life began some 31 years ago. To think about God weaving the paths of my mother and father so that they would meet and bring my sisters and me into the world, well, that in itself is unfathomable. But then to think, those who are reading this now are part of the next generation - you know me and my family and kids because God brought my parents together to give me life!

I was so humbled to receive a wonderful compliment today - "You are one of the most grounded women I know and I am thankful to have you as a friend. May you be surrounded by those smiling little faces that bring you tremendous joy!" - Those smiling little faces are miracles themselves, and not just their births but what they bring to our lives each day. It is easy to teach a heart that is teachable - God shines through our children in so many ways. This is just one of the many God-inspired writings by my DD:

And I can only attribute my 'grounding' to my Father who feeds me his love and strength and wisdom each day so that I can pour that into my children. I fail, don't fool yourselves by thinking I don't; but when I fail, I admit it flat out to them and we talk about it and we all learn from it.  This is God's grace.  God's grace is enough.

My Mother's Day today was not 'glorified' in the eyes of the world, but to me it was the best day ever. God shone down sunshine all day long. I took the kids to a greenhouse at the high school and got to pick out fabulous plants for my planter at a ridiculously low price, and I got to watch my DD go crazy happy over picking out some flowers for herself. We got to oogle over God's beautiful flowers as we made our choices, while DS carried around his piggy bank with three pennies so gingerly the entire trip. We played with bubbles, drew with chalk, talked and played with neighbors and had an awesome time worshiping our God at church. We had a fun blast to the past eating dinner at Taco Bell and a meander through Menards with DD again super excited about getting trays for under her potted flowers for her room.  And the best ending,  a drive home, listening to music from the past and watching DS rocking out in his car seat; he just loves music. And who wouldn't have fun in a car with all the people in it raising the roof to the song 'Put your hands up in the air'...(probably NOT the title but it's about all it says!).  And at the end, DS said, "That was fun!"

No Mother's Day brunch, no big party, no big deal; and still it was filled with the best of the best because God designed it. 

For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain.  Philippians 1:21

Today I proclaim, the mother I am is not because of what I do but because of what He has done for us, and in doing so Jesus gives us life in him. I am letting go of my will, my control and my desires so that I can be more complete in him and our family can become what he intended from my beginning, 31 years ago.

And only by God's abundant grace do we get to have moments and days like today, to sing his praise and shine his light. For his glory, whether you acknowledge it or not, it's still for his glory.

Happy Mother's Day, mommies. And thank you Mom for bringing me into this world so I could have the opportunity to know my Father in such miraculous ways.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Lookup a word or passage in the Bible



BibleGateway.com
Include this form on your page