Thursday, April 7, 2011

Considering others better than yourselves...

Last weekend at church we came home with our Refrigerator Door sheet - the word for the month: Humility, the verse: Philipians 2:3 "Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit, but in humility consider others better than yourselves." This was what our kids are going through this month. The sheet called for the children to pray about finding ways to live this out, so I asked them to pick three kids in their class, with at least one being someone they would find hard to love, that they could target this week and find  a way to 'consider them better' than themselves. And as parents we went jumped right in and picked three of our own, all being those not easy to love.
The miracle of it all, today my heart has love for two of the three whom I was literally finding ways to avoid and make known my dislike for just as of last week. How freeing it can be to fill those spots with God's love rather than satan's bitterness. And whether they understand it or question my motives, that's between them and God. For me, I know my motives are pure and based on this truth in Ph 2:3. And I carry around less baggage than I did last week. I'm looking forward to jumping to this method rather than jumping to satan's tactics the next time someone wrongs me or my family members and I begin to determine how I'm going to handle it.
It's not parting the Red Sea or making water flow out of a rock, but it's turning bitterness into love and pushing satan back down versus lifting him up - and that's enough of a miracle today for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Lookup a word or passage in the Bible



BibleGateway.com
Include this form on your page