Wednesday, April 13, 2011

God does have someone in mind for your things, the abundance of which He asks you to share.

We're in the process of slimming down, simplifying - though quite honestly I wouldn't say most things we have are 'in abundance', but God thinks otherwise and in all humility, of course he's right.

Several weeks ago, the night before going to help at a Habitat for Humanity build, my husband was going through his side of the closet and taking clothes of the hangers, praying on each one, even his favorites. He got done on his side and asked me if I wanted him to go through my side. Mind you, we have a closet that has two bifold doors and our 'sides' respectively are not jam packed by any means. So I say sure, slightly reluctant, fearful of losing my favorites as I saw his favorites go into the bag. But really, if God wants my clothes, he has every right to have them.

Now, also, I had been slowly restoring my wardrobe, updating through a few purchases here and there at Plato's closet over the last year or so.  So I had my favorites, pretty much my handful of purchases from Plato's; my favorite jammies, my workout clothing, etc. And I'm thinking, sure God you can have my clothes, you know my favorites and you won't make me give those up right? ....will you? I mean I really don't have a lot, two pairs of jeans - one that is wearable, the other with holes in unsightly spots! I can have one pair of jeans can't I?

So my husband starts praying over my clothes and handing them to me if they are to be given away.  And there they go, one by one, most of my favorites, not all, but most of my recent Plato's additions, my jeans - holes and good pair, my workout clothes (I had my favorite top/shorts and a backup top/leggings) I was left with my second choice for working out in, and my favorite jeans, did I mention those yet?! I admit I was a bit, well grudgingly, joyful at giving them away. But then we went to bed and woke up, clothes in trunk and went to the Habitat build. Oh yeh, and I had to give up my long johns and the build was just after a fresh snow and I was hoping to wear my long johns under jeans instead of wearing snowpants - less bulk for building.

I got dressed in my snowpants for the build and off we go. Time has gone by, I was blessed with the ability to purchase one new pair of pants and two new shirts and I haven't wanted for more. I am thankful for my one workout outfit and I wear the same pants almost every day! good thing I don't leave the house every day, but really, God knows that too.

And I have lost my obsession with being trendy, as much trendiness as our budget would allow. I have always made due with what I had, but always needed to 'feel' on trend. Now, I am just thankful to have what I do have and I can think about all the people we blessed with the five bags of clothes we gave out of our closet we thought was already slimmed down pretty well to begin with.

So it was our closets, it has also been exercise gear, a grill, a pool, a sandbox - all in working order; really why give out of the brokeness? God from the beginning has always asked for our best which is simply His best He has given us to begin with. So we give of our best, for free - and those nameless, faceless brothers and sisters who receive, they're not just 'lucky' for coming across our things that 'just happen to be out' at the same time they drive by.

No - God had them in mind all along.

So let go of your best and be a blessing, you don't need to know who it goes to and why they need it and you don't need to have your things go to whom you would choose for them. God has a better idea and has someone waiting for your things right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Lookup a word or passage in the Bible



BibleGateway.com
Include this form on your page