Friday, April 8, 2011

Philippians 2:3 for a 2 yr old?

Philippians 2:3 Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit, but in humility consider others better than yourselves.

I've felt convicted early on that my youngest was truly in-dwelt by God at a very young age.  I can't say it was anything more than a deep heart conviction that I just knew, much like how I know that his potty training was a miracle, the specific work of God's hands.  At a very early age, he's been able to speak in complete sentences and even redirect a question if I was having a hard time understanding what he was trying to lead me to the first time. Even now, he can express his feelings in ways I'd never have imagined a 2yr old doing.

When he's crabby, not wanting to do what he knows he needs to in order to go to bed (brush teeth, go potty, etc.) he get's upset and says to me, 'I'm having a hard time.' How in the world? I don't say that, that is not a usual phrase around our house, but it's true and it makes sense. He can tell me when he's telling stories and when he's telling me the truth (those are his terms also). He can dress himself, shirts and all, tell me our house is a beautiful, big house - I mean his insight into things seemingly meant for those older in years is simply unfathomable.

So as I've mentioned, we've been living out the above verse. It started out with all of us memorizing the verse  after dinner on Monday night. I would say a small part and then two of our kids and my husband would repeat until everyone had memorized it; everyone 6 and older!

So I had thought. However, today, my youngest, just a month shy of 3 years old, was taking a bath. Just for the sake of being curious, I asked, "So do you remember our verse?" That's all I said. And he stared with 'selfish ambition', so I began with the 'do nothing' part and has said the rest, all by himself, with help on 'consider' and that's it! WHAT?!?!?!

It is possible, God is possible, age is not a restriction when it comes to what God can do; and why should it be?

God lives outside of time and age - why can't we?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Lookup a word or passage in the Bible



BibleGateway.com
Include this form on your page